Sunday, June 06, 2010

Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park - May 20, 2010

I made it to Monument Valley a little after noon. It was pretty warm outside and not a cloud in the sky. I had lunch at The View Restaurant and got a few souvenirs at the gift shop. I didn't make the full loop drive, but I was still able to take this nice landscape shot right outside the gift shop. I think the next time I go I will take a guided tour.

Monument Valley is located near Goulding, UT, and The park is located on the Navajo Nation Reservation, and its sandstone formations have been the backdrop for many motion pictures. The Navajo name for the park is Tsé Bii' Ndzisgaii (Valley of the Rocks).

The park lies within the borders of the Colorado Plateau, an area of land which is largely centered on the Four Corners region of the US (consisting of northern Arizona and New Mexico, and southern Utah and Colorado). The Colorado Plateau is also home of several other parks including The Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef and Zion National Parks. The brilliant red color of the landscape is the result of iron oxide exposed in the weathered siltstone, while the darker bluish-gray rocks get their color from maganese oxide.

This is one of my favorite parks to visit. I don't think any picture gives it justice. It is one of those places which you simply need to see to fully appreciate its beauty.

Links to check out:
Navajo Nation Parks - Monument Valley
My Flickr Photo Album:Monument Valley

No comments: