Friday, June 11, 2010

Arches National Park - May 18, 2010


Arches Ntl Park - (2), originally uploaded by kimberzy.

I visited Arches National Park on May 18, 2010. The day was overcast but still warm. I was pretty disappointed that I didn't have better weather, or at least some sunshine! Not only that, but I also had an upset tummy, which made taking a longer hike nearly impossible (since there aren't any bathrooms on the trails - lol). I did manage a few short hikes, including Sand Dune Arch, Broken Arch, Skyline Arch, Double Arch, and The Windows trails. I didn't get to go to Landscape Arch (the longest arch in the park and in the world for that matter), because I could not find a place to park in the parking lot...not one spot. Ugh. I really wanted to go to that one. Photo ops were many, but the cloudy skies didn't make for very pretty pictures.

On the hike to Broken Arch, I got caught in a cloudburst and took shelter under an alcove to wait it out. And then when I was at Park Avenue, it started to sprinkle again. When I was at the Delicate Arch viewpoint, I could hear thunder rumbling, so I took that as a cue to go back to the hotel room in Moab. Not long after I got back to the room, it started pouring....with thunder and lightning. I love to watch the lightning, but it sure put a damper (no pun intended) on my trip to the park.

The park is every bit as beautiful as I thought it would be, and hopefully, next time I go, I will have some sunshine and blue skies!

Link to Check Out:
NPS: Arches National Park
My Flickr Photo Album: Arches National Park

No comments: