Sunday, June 13, 2010

Canyonlands Ntl Park - May 17, 2010

I visited Canyonlands National Park on May 17, 2010. First, I went to the Needles District and later on in the day, I went to the Island In The Sky District. The morning was nice and sunny, but it started clouding up in the afternoon. I did a hike at the Needles (Pothole Point) and then at Island In The Sky, I did the Mesa Arch hike. Both were short hikes, as I only had a day to visit these 2 parts of the park.

Canyonlands National Park preserves a landscape carved out by the Colorado River and its tributaties. Features such as mesas, canyons and buttes can be found here. The park consists of four parts, or "districts:" The Island In The Sky, The Needles, The Maze and the rivers themselves. The Needles and Island In The Sky can be easily accessed, while The Maze District is more rugged and remote and requires a 4WD vehicle.

Canyonlands National Park is located near the town of Moab, Utah, with Island in The Sky being just north of Moab and The Needles being just south of it.

Links to Check Out:
NPS: Canyonlands National Park
Wikipedia: Canyonlands National Park
My Flickr Photo Album: Canyonlands National Park

No comments: