Sunday, March 30, 2008

Carrizo Plain National Monument - March 25, 2008

thatAfter the mess with my driver's license was cleared up (see my other blog for all the info on this if you want a good laugh or want to read a good "omg" story), I took a drive up to Carrizo Plain National Monument and then down Highway 58 West to Shell Creek Road, because I had heard this was a good spot for wildflowers (trust me, it was! - I will post pics from that area tomorrow). Carrizo Plain did not disappoint! It was alive with color. There were vast fields of yellow (Goldfields and Hillside Daisies), and purple (Wild Heliotrope, Wild Hyacinth, Filaree, Red Maids and Owl's Clover), as well as patches of blue (Baby Blue Eyes). The plain looked like someone had driven over in an airplane and threw paint down on the earth.

The birds have also returned to the plain. I saw Western Meadowlarks, Horned Larks, Red Tailed Hawks, Sparrows and Mourning Doves, to name a few. I also spotted a few Pronghorn at dusk when I was driving back.

I posted some pictures below. Enjoy!

Links to check out:

Carrizo Plain National Monument
Wikipedia: Carrizo Plain
Carrizo Plain - a 3D Tour
Sierra Club: Carrizo Plain

No comments: