Sunday, March 09, 2008

Carrizo National Monument, March 2, 2008

I took a drive up to Carrizo Plain National Monument on March 2, 2008, just to see if any wildflowers were blooming. No flowers were blooming yet from the Soda Lake entrance on I-66 to Soda Lake, but the whole plain itself is turning green, and on the other side of the plain, on the Highway 58 entrance, the hills are turning gold.







Not many birds are out yet either. Although I did see several ravens and meadowlarks, and at the visitor center, I ran into this little roadrunner.






He seemed pretty tame. A couple other visitors were sitting at the picnic table and this little guy just sat beside the table. He let me come within a few feet to take his picture.

I am gonna check back in a few weeks to see if the flowers are out. From the looks of it, it just might be a good wildflower year on the plain :)

No comments: