Sunday, March 09, 2008

Anza Borrego Desert State Park - March 7, 2008

After seeing all of the pretty wildflower pictures on the internet, I decided to take a road trip to Anza Borrego Desert State Park on Friday.

Anza Borrego Desert State Park is the largest state park in California. It is located about 2 hours from San Diego, near the Salton Sea. Also nearby are Indio and Coachella.




The visitor center is located in Borrego Springs, CA. Most of the good wildflower viewing is near that area, in Coyote Canyon, located at the end of Di Giorgio Road and on Henderson Canyon Road. I had never been there before, so the information I got at the visitor center was very helpful. I couldn't believe how many people were out there. The visitor center parking lot was full, and there were cars lined up along the sides of the road. And for good reason. There were literally carpets of wildflowers in Coyote Canyon, and on Henderson Canyon Road.


Pics from Coyote Canyon















The ground was literally covered with Sand Verbena and Dune Evening Primrose. And the air was filled with a wonderful scent. I have never seen so many flowers in one place!


Henderson Canyon was also carpeted with flowers.






Brittlebush



Desert Sunflower



Dune Evening Primrose



Dune Sunflower



Sand Verbena


The purple and yellow of Henderson Canyon was a nice contrast to the purple and white of Coyote Canyon. Henderson Canyon was mostly covered with Desert Sunflowers and Sand Verbena, along with some Dune Evening Primrose and Dune Sunflowers here and there. It was a real treat, and well worth the 12 hour round-trip day (I also drove thru Joshua Tree National Park on the way there).

I plan on hitting up Death Valley National Park this Saturday. I want to go to Scotty's Castle and the Racetrack...2 places I didn't get to visit last time went.

I love spring!!!

Links to Check Out:

Anza Borrego Wildflower update 2008
Anza Borrego Desert State Park

No comments: