Sunday, April 04, 2010

Point Reyes - 3/26/10

I made it to Point Reyes a little later in the day than I had planned (thanks to the stops at Golden Gate NRA and Mt Tamalpais - lol), but it was still sunny and nice out. I couldn't believe my luck! Last time I went, it was foggy, rainy and windy. I drove out to Chimney Rock and started out my hike. I tell you, not more than a few steps down the trail did I find wildflowers....a lot of them! Douglas Iris was growing all around, as well as Blue Violet, Field Chickweed, California Poppy, Cow Parsnip, Blue Eyed Grass and Checker Mallow, to name a few. It wasn't til the end of the trail that I found Pussy Ears (which was the flower I had come for). They are small and easy to miss amid the grass, but once I found one, I found myself spotting more and more. At the end of the trail, I spotted some whales out in the ocean, some elephant seals far below on a secluded cove and a Golden Eagle soaring overhead. It was a wonderful day, indeed. The trail was easy...only a short uphill climb and pretty level otherwise. And it was so beautiful along the way. The only troublesome spot was the drive to the parking lot. The road is very narrow and not many places to pull over. And in my car, I wasn't about to try to drive off the road - lol. After the hike here, I drove onward to Rohnert Park where I spent the night.

Links to Check Out:

National Park Service - Point Reyes
Point Reyes
Wikipedia - Point Reyes
Bay Area Hiker - Chimney Rock

No comments: