Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Kern River Preserve, Kernville - 3/20/10 & 3/21/10

On Saturday, 3/20/10, I had the pleasure of helping some of the good people at the Kern River Preserve plant wild roses and mugwort to hopefully create habitat for future generations of tri-colored blackbirds. It was a beautiful day for it, and afterward, I was treated to a wonderful wildflower tour by Alison (aka "Nature Ali"), where I got to go up this fantastic hill along Sierra Way (which she called the Forebay Road, I believe), which was just flooded with flowers! Poppies (California Poppies and Frying Pans), Bird's Eye Gilia, Popcorn Flower, Lupine, Owl's Clover, Coulter's Jewelflower, and soooo much more. It was a fantastic day for wildflower viewing, as it was bright and sunny and not too much of a breeze (although, I must remember to always use the sunscreen, cuz I got burnt! lol).

I went back the next day, via Granite Road to the 155 and down the hill to Wofford Heights. Granite Road was just bursting with color, which I imagine will only get better. Fiddleneck was coloring the hills gold, and further up the road, there were some nice swaths of Popcorn Flower, which colored the hillsides with a light dusting of white. I also spotted Owl's Clover and Lupine in the mix (couldn't see more than that going 60 mph in a car - lol). Gorgeous! I am going to check it out again this weekend sometime to see if it's gotten better. Of course, there aren't many pullouts. But the scenery is awesome :)

This weekend, I think I may be off to Point Reyes on Friday. Not sure what else is on the ole agenda. Maybe Mt Tamalpais too, while I am up that way. There are so many parks in Sonoma County. Wish I had a week to spend up there!

I posted plenty of pictures below. And there will be plenty more to come ;)

Til then, Happy Trails!


Links to Check Out:

Kern River Preserve
Nature Ali's Flora of the Kern River Preserve
Discover Kern River Valley
Audublog - Kern River Preserve

No comments: