Thursday, March 18, 2010

Carrizo Plain National Monument and Hwy 58 - 3/14/10

I took a drive up to Carrizo Plain on Sunday, 3/14/10. It was another bright, sunny day, but a little on the chilly side. The flowers are starting to bloom out there. I found quite a few large fields of yellow and purple: Coreopsis, Fiddleneck, Goldfields, Red Stemmed Filaree, and Phacelia, mostly, as well as some Red Maids and a few Baby Blue Eyes out by Soda Lake. As it warms up, I imagine more flowers will start blooming as well. Looks like it will be another nice year on the plain :)

Out on Hwy 58, I saw some nice fields of Popcorn Flower and Shooting Stars. And at Shell Creek Road, more Baby Blue Eyes have bloomed, as well as some Tidy Tips, and the occasional California Poppy. I didn't see any Cream Cups yet though.

I posted some pics below. Enjoy!

Til next time, Happy Trails! :)

Links to Check out:

BLM - Carrizo Plain National Monument
Wikipedia - Carrizo Plain National Monument
Sierra Club - Carrizo Plain National Monument
Kern National Wildlife Refuge

No comments: