Sunday, May 17, 2009

Mammoth Pool Rd - Mile High Curve



What a gorgeous view!


I camped out at Bass Lake on Friday night. It was a nice night, although the mosquitos were out in full force. I have a bunch of bites, despite using repellant (those buggers bit right thru my clothes!). Plus, one of the tent poles broke on me when I was setting it up, so I had a lopsided tent, but it was still sleepable - lol. I had to order a tent pole repair kit. Hopefully it will be here in time for my road trip in 2 weeks.


Bass Lake was gorgeous. It was a nice night...almost cold in fact. But it got hot on Saturday...in the upper 90's. And it wasn't much cooler in the higher elevations, when I took the scenic drive up Mammoth Pool Road to Clover Meadow. It was only in the upper 80s there. Still, Mammoth Pool Road (the Scenic Byway), was a great drive, full of wildflowers and grand viewpoints. Below 4000 ft, there was a whole lot of Farewell To Spring (a whole lot!), along with some Wine Cup Clarkia, Butterfly Mariposa Lilies, Poppies, California Buckeye, to name a few. Up above 4000 ft, you can find Common Linanthus, Spreading Phlox, Larkspur, Chinese Houses, Pretty Faces, Ithuriel's Spear, and some Snow Plant as well. It is hard to miss, as it is bright red, and likes to grow amongst the dead pine needles. There was even some snow still left in the higher elevations near the Clover Meadow turnoff.


But then it was time to come home, and I returned home only to come back to even hotter weather. It is 104 outside right now. Thank goodness for air conditioning.


In 2 weeks, I am off to Utah, to venture to Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. Gonna hit up Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon and Zion as well. Maybe Cedar Breaks, too...if the road is open. I might hit up Kings Canyon on Saturday...maybe. We'll see.

No comments: