Sunday, August 21, 2005

San Franciso Zoo Trip

This weekend, my mom, my brother and I went to the San Francisco Zoo. I hadn't been to this zoo since I was a kid. We used to go nearly every summer when I was growing up in King City. It was a nice day, though overcast. The temperature was in the 60's, which was a nice change from the 90-100 degree temperatures of Bakersfield.

The zoo is surprisingly pretty inexpensive to get in. It was only $11 per adult to get in plus $5 for parking per vehicle. According to the website, San Francisco residents get in at a discounted rate.

There were a large variety of animals at the zoo. Some of the exhibits were empty at the time, as they were being rennovated. I think my favorites were the gorillas, the river otters and the big cats. The penguins were sure putting on a show, squawking loudly at each other. They sure are cute. I loved the bears too! The grizzly bears were young bears, but already showing signs of maturity. They were already developing the "hump" that grizzlies are so well-known for, and their claws sure weren't small! The polar bears were taking it easy. One of them was stretched out and laying down and the other was sitting around looking at everyone. I love bears.

They have an area called the Children's Zoo, which has small animal exhibits such as rabbits, guinea pigs, meerkats, prairie dogs and birds of prey. A lot of the birds are rehabilitated and cannot live in the wild. One of the falcons was hit by a car, and subsequently cannot fly. But she has a home at the zoo now. There are also 2 pelicans that were injured from fishing line, and an owl that was stolen from its nest as a baby and now lives at the zoo. It is nice to know that these animals, who would have certainly died in the wild, have been given a second chance.

I took a lot of pictures, and posted them below. Someday , I would like to go to the San Diego Zoo and maybe the LA Zoo again, too. I love animals, and seeing them up close is just amazing.

Address:

1 Zoo Road
San Francisco, CA 94132

Phone (415) 753-7080

Zoo Hours - 10 am to 5 pm daily

Links



  • San Francisco Zoo
  • No comments: