Monday, August 12, 2013

Yosemite! 8/12/13

I camped out in Tuolumne Meadows campground last night for the second time this summer. It was great weather for it too. I was glad I made a reservation online, as the campground filled up by the late afternoon. I arrived at about 1:45. After I finished setting up my tent and things and grabbing a quick drink. I drove to the Visitor Center to stamp my National Parks passport, and then drove to the Lembert Dome/Dog Lake parking lot to set off on the hike up Lembert Dome. The hike is between 3.7 and 4 miles round trip (I have seen various lengths, but according to the trail markers, it seems like it is more like 2 miles one way - at the trailhead it says it is 1.3 miles to Dog Lake - at the Dog Lake junction, it says it is .3 miles to Dog Lake and 1 mile to Lembert Dome) and climbs about 850 feet in elevation. The starting elevation is over 8500 feet. feet. The trail climbs steeply for the first mile or so. It is rocky in places and the high starting altitude can wreak havoc on the lungs if you aren't acclimated (which I wasn't since I just arrived to Tuolumne Meadows about an hour prior to starting the hike) - the altitude kicked my butt for the first mile. I mean, KICKED my butt! I had to stop a few times since I was getting kind of light headed and my heart was racing. But, at the Dog Lake/Lembert Dome junction, the trail levels out nicely so you can catch your breath and give your legs a rest. The trail is nicely shaded all along the way, but even more so at this point. From the junction, the sign says you have a mile to go, and most of this distance is fairly level. It isn't until the last 1-2 tenths of a mile that you start to climb again, and soon you hit granite. From here, there is not trail to speak of. It is up to you to pick your own way up the granite. For me, it was easier to zig zag my way up. It is way easier on the legs and I didn't feel like I was going to fall. One you reach what seems like the top,  you realize there is still a little more ways to go. Some hikers took the direct, steep way up. But I am not very graceful (lol), so a roundabout way was more my speed. I really wasn't sure I was even going to go to the top, since I am such a fraidy-cat when it comes to heights. But, slowly, I walked to the left and made my way up til I had reached the top. What a view! It was awesome! At this point the elevation is 9450 feet.I found a good place to sit so I could drink some water and take some pictures and just enjoy the view. I sat there for a good 20 minutes before heading down. It was quite windy, which, at times, nearly threw me off balance (which was scary), and I was glad I hadn't worn a hat - lol. Slowly, I made my way back down. But here is where it got weird. I couldn't seem to find the trail when I got back down. So, after wandering for a while, climbing over fallen logs and climbing up through the forest, I finally found my way back to the trail. I knew I had to keep walking left, and when I saw the granite through the trees, I knew the trail was right there - whew! But it added time and distance to my hike, not to mention, a lot of cussing - lol. So, it might be best to really look at the trail and remember what it looks like. Or make a marker, like a rock cairn or something to mark your spot, less you have to take a detour like me. I kind of booked it down the trail, as it was already nearly 6:00 and I wanted to go to the store to get ice and firewood before it closed. I thought it closed at 7:00. I made it back to my car at 6:48, and I made it to the store. Only to find out that it closes at 8:00 - lol. I didn't even have a campfire. I was too tired and wanted to crawl into my sleeping bag - lol. The night was cold - very cold. It was in the 30s in the morning, and I was glad I had brought my sweats. My sleeping bag is rated for 0 degree weather, but I was still cold! I didn't want to get out of my sleeping bag in the morning - lol.

If you are going to hike Lembert Dome, bring plenty of water (the trail is well shaded, but the dome itself is totally exposed, and you always need more water in the higher elevations to avoid dehydration), sunscreen and sturdy hiking shoes with good tread. You may want to leave your hat in the car, because, with the wind, you may lose it - lol. Or wear one of those hats that you can tie on. A trekking pole (or 2) is also helpful. And don't forget the camera! You will definitely want to take pics from the top! The trail is rated anywhere from easy (I have seen from various reviews) to moderate to moderately strenuous (according to Yosemite's paper guide they give you when you arrive). While I don't think it's easy (unless you are one of those people who can sprint up Mt Whitney), I don't think it's moderately strenuous either. I would rate it as moderate. If you take away the altitude, it would be an easy to moderate hike.

There is another trail that starts from near the Tuolumne Lodge parking lot, which is shorter, but much steeper. This trail is more of a direct climb up the dome instead of the roundabout way that I took.

Tired, tired tonite. I didn't sleep at all last nite. My eyes were shut, but I was awake all night. Had a horrible headache from the high altitude, which always happens to me on the first night camping above 8000 feet. Doesn't seem to happen below 8000 feet - weird. Of course, going on a high altitude hike hours earlier probably didn't help - lol. Had a great hike though. Didn't plan on hiking Lembert Dome til fall, but, what the heck. I was there. Why not? lol.  Wanted to hike Sentinel Dome today, but there was absolutely no parking available. Bought myself a new national parks pass too - woo hoo! I'm already getting excited about planning the next hike :) Probably Bishop's Peak in SLO and back to Little Lakes Valley the week after to actually finish the trail - all the way to Gem Lakes. Maybe by next year, I'll be ready for Upper Yosemite Falls or Cloud's Rest. One step at a time. I am off to bed. My hands are killing me, but my legs are fine actually. Not very sore at all (of course, that could change come tomorrow - lol). I posted pics to flickr and will update my blog tomorrow.

Until then, happy trails!

No comments: