Sunday, April 13, 2008

Mojave National Preserve and Joshua Tree National Park - April 12, 2008

I drove up to Mojave National Preserve on Saturday, April 12, 2008. I left very early so I could get a full day in the preserve and at Joshua Tree National Park as well. The weather was beautiful...sunny and not too hot. The flowers at the Mojave Preserve on Kelbaker Road have faded from last week thanks to the sun and thousands of hungry grasshoppers. There were more flowers as I got closer to Kelso Depot though. Here is a partial list of what I spotted along the roadside: Desert Dandelions, Desert Chicory, Purple Mat, Yellow Sun Cups, Chia, Blue Phacelia, Brown-Eyed Primrose, Prickly Poppy, Wallace's Wooly Daisy, Desert Pincushion and Beavertail Cactus (close to Kelso Depot).

I drove up the Kelso Cima Road and then to the Hole In The Wall Visitor Center and found even more wildflowers: Gooding's Verbena, Desert Rock Pea, Desert Rhubarb, Indian Paintbrush, Desert Globemallow, Desert Sage, Desert Dandelions, Desert Marigolds, Chia, Dune Evening Primrose, Freckled Milkvetch, Fremont Phacelia, Pygmy Golden Poppy, and lots of Mojave Yucca. According to the ranger at the visitor center, the Mojave Yucca bloom doesn't happen every year. But is sure is a'blooming now!

At the Cottonwood Spring entrance to Joshua Tree National Park, the carpets of flowers from last month have faded. But the Ocotillo is blooming now, as well as Prince's Plume, Desert Globemallow, Beavertail Cactus and Mojave Yucca.I also spotted lots of Sand Blazing Stars along the roadside and in the washes, as well as Canterbury Bells, Purple Mat and Creosote Bush. I didn't get to go to the Cholla Garden....no place to park!

I sure was sorry I didn't get to the northwestern part of the park, which is higher in elevation (Joshua Tree entrance to the Twentynine Palms/Cottonwood Spring cutoff) earlier! That part of the park is exploding with color...mostly yellow and white. Lots and lots of Desert Dandelions, White Tidy Tips, Desert Pincushion and Joshua Trees, which are also blooming. There was also a lot of Blue Phacelia, Lacy Leaf Phacelia, Arroyo Lupine, Dune Evening Primrose, and some Sand Verbena. The bloom extends out to the town of Joshua Tree as well. I hope it is still in bloom this upcoming weekend. If it is, I am going back!!

I posted pictures below. As always, you can click on any picture for a much larger view.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I followed your link from Carol Leigh's wildflower page.

I'm glad to see that there are asters blooming at JTNP. We were there a few weeks ago and didn't see any at that time.

I enjoyed your flower photos. We're a bit south, so it's nice to see pictures of areas that we're not able to visit in person.

Robert Ballard
http://www.pbase.com/madhatter/spring08