Sunday, April 01, 2007

Bay Area Trip 3/30/07




I took a drive up to San Francisco on Friday. It was one of those spontaneous trips. I decided on Thursday that I was going to go, just for the day. But after driving up there and seeing what the Bay Area had to offer as far as sight-seeing, I decided that the next time I go up there, it will be at least for 2 days (preferably 3 - hehe).






I had wanted to check out Muir Woods National Monument for quite some time, but had never gotten to go. After stopping off at the Golden Gate Bridge to take some pictures and grab a few souvenirs at the gift shop, I made my way across the bridge .... next stop, Muir Woods.


Well, when I got to Muir Woods, the parking lot was full. The overflow parking lot was also full, as was the off-road parking along the roadway. After making several passes thru both lots and the roadside parking and still finding no spaces, I decided to head further north to Stinson Beach and Point Reyes National Seashore.


Stinson Beach was a nice little spot to take a breather from driving. There were some wildflowers, so I took some pictures. I walked around the park a little bit and some on the seashore before heading back to the car and back to driving.


On the way, I spotted some seals sunning themselves a little offshore and some Egrets and Pacific Loons wading and swimming in the water searching for food. There were quite a few wildflowers along the road as well, such as California Poppies, Calla Lilies, Iceplant and Forget Me Nots.


I ended up driving up to Point Reyes and checking out just a few of the many spots along the way, such as North Beach and South Beach. I tried to go check out the lighthouse, but again found myself without a place to park. I did get to check out the Visitor Center and pick up a few souvenirs though.







After that, I decided to try to see if I could find a place to park at Muir Woods again. So I made my way back and low and behold, I found a place to park this time! However, I didn't get there til a little after 5 pm, and it was at least a 5 hour drive home, so I couldn't stay very long. I checked out the Visitor Center and got a few souvenirs and then decided to check out one of the trails, even if I couldn't go very far. After all, I had come all that way! I had to at least get a few pictures. The woods were beautiful, full of redwood trees and ferns. I wanted to stay longer, but I was only able to snap a few pictures before leaving as it would be getting dark soon and I wanted to take a few more pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge before I went home.











On the way back to San Francisco, I took the Golden Gate National Recreation Area exit (right before you get on the bridge). There are some stunning views of the bridge and of the city from there. I wish I could have stayed later to take some night shots....maybe next time. There is another lighthouse up there at Point Bonita, but it was closed when I got there.


After taking some more pictures, I made my way back across the bridge and then back home to Bakersfield. I didn't get home til nearly midnight (I had left Bakersfield around 6:20 am that morning) and was tired and hungry and my hands hurt like heck, but all in all, I had a good trip.


Next time, I am staying overnight up there. There is just so much to see and do. Too much to do in just a few hours. There still is Fisherman's Wharf, The Presidio, Mount Tamalpais State Park, Drake's Beach, and soooo much more.


I posted pictures below (of course - hehe)



Miles Traveled: 286 miles one-way : 572 miles round-trip



Links to Check Out:


Muir Woods Nationsl Monument
Muir Woods
Point Reyes National Seashore
Golden Gate National Recreation Area
Golden Gate Bridge
Mount Tamalpais State Park
Stinson Beach History

No comments: