Monday, January 21, 2013

Merced National Wildlife Refuge and San Luis National Wildlife Refuge - 1/20/13

I traveled up to Merced on Sunday to visit the Merced National Wildlife Refuge, and since I was in the area, I also visited the San Luis National Wildlife Refuge, as it was only about 30 miles away. It was a very foggy morning when I arrived at the Merced NWR. However, after a while, the fog started to burn off. There were thousands and thousands of geese there.... Ross's, Snow and White Fronted Geese. You could hear their calls thru the fog, altho I could not see them at first. But once the fog burned off, I saw them....so many! Sandhill Cranes were also there, but not in as large numbers as the geese.

At the San Luis National Wildlife Refuge in Los Banos, CA, the first thing I saw was the Tule Elk. The bulls were grouped together some distance from the fence. In a month or so, they will drop their antlers. I drove along the waterfowl tour route and got to photograph my first Common Snipe. First time shots are always pretty awesome. I also got to photograph my first American Pipit at the Merced National Wildlife Refuge. All in all, a good day. The only thing that would have made it better, would have been to get a good shot of the White Tailed Kite (a bird that continues to elude me), and if that darned Barn Owl would have sat on the fence long enough for me to get a picture....someday!

The full photo album can be seen here... Merced and San Luis NWR - 1/20/13

Next weekend, I think I may travel to the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge up in Willows, CA.  I haven't been there in years. I think I am due for a trip.

Until then, happy trails!

Here are some links for info on the refuges:

San Luis National Wildlife Refuge
Merced National Wildlife Refuge

No comments: